And what a route it was. Past a dozen old haunts… a story, a memory on every corner. Very cool.
At mile 1, I ran near the apartments I lived in with Kerry when we had Liam. The place had a great pool with a grill where we had a big to-do during Music Midtown 2000.
Around 3, I ran through Inman Park, site of many a fun festival. Actually, the Inman Park festival has always been my favorite… much quieter than the Piedmont Park Arts and a lot cooler than the Va-Hi one. As I ran past one tree in the middle of where the festival is located, I remember standing next to bike by it many years ago with blood streaming down my leg. I had flipped over the handlebars on my bike while negotiating car traffic on the way to the festival.
Running along Euclid, I passed the house where an ex I met on the Net (back when that wasn’t really something you readily owned up to) had lived.
And, then of course, Little 5 Points… one of the places that first attracted me to Atlanta and site of several stories (“Ashim Takes the Heinz Ketchup Taste Test” at Yacht Club, “Seabolt Misplaces Her Eyewear” at Groove Park) plus a lot of great shows at the infamous StarBar and The Point. For probably 5 or 6 years, I got all my Xmas gifts for people in L5P.
We ran past the Carter Center and down Freedom Parkway up to the awesome view at Boulevard then a 180 and along the whole parkway to Ponce…then past the aforementioned Fellini’s and into Virginia-Highland.
But then instead of hitting the Majestic/Righteous Room intersection at Highland, the route snuck around behind Va-Hi (where I always used to park on Friday and Saturday nights) and emerged where Neighbor’s holds its post-mountain biking, Purple Haze-soaked patio afternoons. Left onto Highland and past it’s infamous row of bars… Dark Horse, Atkin’s Park… both home to many a lost night… then up to the “official” corner of Virginia and Highland where I spent Sunday afternoons for many years at the Taco Mac, or simply “Wings” as I’ve always called it.
2 comments:
I still remember vividly, Jim trying to race through L5P in heavy traffic on his bicycle during the Inman Park fest. Me riding slowly out of caution and being terribly out of shape. A car pulls out in front of Jim, and he slam on the brakes and flies superman style over the handlebars hitting the pavement and then bounces back up to his feet.
It takes a lot of skill to go over the handlebars on a flat paved street.
I had just tightened up my brakes that morning and (obviously) was not used to them yet!
Post a Comment