Sunday, May 13, 2007

My One and Only Viceroy

Erin had her dance recital today, something she's been gearing up for for weeks and weeks. She was a butterfly ballerina and a tapdancer in "Topsy-Turvy World". Not that we expected it, but she had no stagefright at all. After her two dances, she was in the audience with us and nothing could draw her rapt attention from the rest of the show.

Her one non-girly girl interest has surfaced in the last few months.

Bugs.

Yes, bugs. She'll pick up a a grasshopper, a caterpillar, or even a grub or a worm without the least hesitation. We got her a little kit with a magnifying glass and a wooden "cage".

I've got nothing against the girl stuff. Her dancing was the cutest thing ever and I'll tell her unicorn bedtime stories for the rest of my life if she wants me to but it's nice to see her get into something other than fairies, rainbows, and ponies.

2 comments:

Laika said...

I was a budding entomologist for many years growing up. Bugs are cool.

Jim said...

Jumping spiders know they're cool.

Same for preying mantises.