Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Pre-Anti-TV Rant

First off, I watched a lot of TV when I was a wee lad... I mean a LOT. Saturday morning was the religous event... not Sunday. The three solid hours of cartoons on all three stations... 4 if you counted PBS... was THE weekly event.... kid gold. Mostly I stuck with the  Bugs Bunny show... which I seem to remember as an hour and a half... but also went in for the HB stuff, the Inch High Private Eye, Laff-a-lympics, Herculoids, Thundarr the Barbarian all that plus the "dramas": Land of the Lost, Sigmund and the Sea Monsters, Dr. Shrinker, pretty much everything on the go.

I feel like I watched every sitcom that was on. Different Strokes, Family Ties, Three's Company, even crap like Hello Larry, Too Close For Comfort, What's Happening, etc., etc. Chips, Magnum PI, Battlestar Galactica, A-Team, Simon and Simon, Six Million Dollar Man, Eight is Enough, Love Boat, Bionc Woman, Dukes of Hazzard, Fantasy Island, f'ing EVERYTHING!!!

For God's sake, I remember Hello Larry!

And that was just Sat morning and prime time. Summer days were filled with the classics: Brady Bunch, Gilligan's Island, Genie, Bewitched, and  my all-time favorite Get Smart. That one I would watch four times a day and occasionally 6 if I stayed up reeeeeal late.

In college, I did lessen my TV consumption but not out of choice. In between studying and drinkin', I did make time for Simpsons (of course!), Cheers, and Seinfeld.

Then, for the short time I initially lived by myself in Atlanta, I watched TV. But here is what ended that: one night, I remember rushing to make it home before Andy Griffith started and then I realized it had to stop.

2 comments:

Laika said...

But you are aware that there's such a thing as television, and...

Don't forget, we used to watch Byron Allen too. Somehow.

I don't watch much at all these days either, except documentaries and such, but am into a few series. Being able to download and watch on my own time means watching a lot less crap.

Anonymous said...

But why would you EVER watch crap? Whether it was on you "own time" (whatever that means) or not?

I don't even remember who Byron Allen is. YOu sure that was me?